First lines meme
And making up AU details means having to make up head!canon details first because unsurprisingly, S3's timeline/world-building is awful (GDI writers' strike, you ruined everything) and there's not actually a lot to work with. Like, exactly when did Bela give Crowley the Colt? There were three months between "Dream A Little Dream of Me" and "Time Is On My Side." That's a lot of time to account for. If she gave Crowley the Colt, when did she talk to Lilith and learn about Dean's deal? Did she know about it before she stole the Colt (I am choosing to assume she did not)?
So I've spent far too long going through transcripts of S3 episodes, I've still probably missed details, and I succeeded in making myself very mopey about (a) Bela and (b) Dean going to Hell. Blah.
I hate those days when you're so tired that all you want to do is wait for night to roll back around so you can try to sleep again. Such wasted potential. Like Bela Talbot. So here's a meme:
Stolen from brutti_ma_buoni: Post the first lines of the last 21 fics your wrote.
Adding from snickfic: Post the ending lines, too.
I'm not including my genteensybang fic since it's un-posted, but I am including the first lines of my two current WIP (SPN S8 and a/b/o) because I'm inconsistent that way. And if the first line is dialogue, I'm including as many sentences as the person speaks in the opening rather than cutting them off at literally one sentence.
1. It’s been a good week.
2. When the other woman burst into the bathroom and Gen smelled alpha, she smiled, because unlike popular rag-mags, Gen did not believe that every other alfemale was out to steal her (hypothetical) omega, and in fact, she was pretty sure that ladies who were considered freaks of nature in large swathes of the country should look out for each other.
3. “You could be the Joker. It’d be easy. Get a purple coat, some face paint, hair dye. You’ve already got the crazy hair.”
4. “Wait! Stop!”
5. When she and Lilith devised their plan, Ruby had known she was signing up to be a lot of things: traitor, prey, outcast, bitch slut [redacted] Winchester whore.
6. He woke on his back, warmed only by the comforter, but after dragging himself to the bathroom and back, wincing when chilled tile temporarily took the place of carpet, he pressed against her, wrapping his arm around her under the blanket.
7. “As most of you are probably already aware, we’re going to have visitors over the Christmas holidays. You’ve all heard of the team in LA, Angel Investigations, that occasionally works with our local slayers and watchers. Its four associates will be spending two weeks with some of our members.”
8. She falls asleep much earlier these days than she did a few months ago; more nights than not she’s deep in sleep rather than simply dozing by the time he gets home from bartending.
9. “Do you still wish…”
10. She was not going to cry.
11. “No, I am not his bleeding fan. He stole this look from me, I’ll have you know. Christ, I used to eat people who asked me that! Oh, sorry, mate, I didn’t mean it like that…”
12. “Your magic, Will...we'll figure it out. I promise.”
13. My arm is gone.
14. Dawn looked from one cohort to the other, her face solemn.
15. “So,” said Spike, looking up from Severin’s charred corpse, which lay smoking on the ground between them. “Can I say ‘I told you so’ or do you need a minute to process?”
16. Buffy looked up from the ring of dead bodies to stare at her companion.
18. “Buffy, behind you!”
19. “We’re gonna win.”
21. “He’s so cute.”
My opening lines are pretty evenly split between dialogue and non-dialogue, which is a pleasant surprise. Although the difference isn't apparent from just these lines, I think I know what the correlation is (when the fics are short and very much in the moment- not a lot of lengthy introspection- they usually start with dialogue).
3. Sam held the girl tightly and smiled for the camera.
4. She did.
5. There was nothing a little stint in Hell couldn’t fix.
6. Smiling, she slipped the key into her jacket pocket, zipped it, and turned to catch up with her boys.
7. Then he turned and left, pulling the door shut behind him.
8. He tilts the little light and softly begins to read: “Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive…”
9. Shaking, he staggered to his feet.
10. “Hi, Buffy! It’s me! Hope you and Spike had a good space honeymoon-type thing. You know how happy I am that he came back and you’re together again. Yay Blondie Bear and Joan! So anyway, now that he is back and you’re all lovey-dovey and adorable, when are you guys going to come on my show?”
11. He let her.
12. Otherwise, it was as though he had never been.
13. She grabs his hand and holds on tight.
14. “Excellent,” said Dawn. “Operation Remove Sticks From Asses is a go. We’ll convene again for progress updates in a few days. Meeting adjourned.”
15. “Yeah. I’d like that.”
16. “I’ll be back.”
17. “What have they done?”
18. “There are two more in the hallways somewhere. And, uh, I think these ones are starting to reassemble…”
19. And the last hour is completely worth it.
20. “Night, Buffy. See you later.”
21. She really liked that.
A lot less dialogue for the endings, and (this is not news to me) most of them are rather...on the head? Pat endings? I dunno. I prefer the ones that aren't so closed book, like #5, but TBH I'm okay with pat endings. Something to work on but not something I'm going to lose sleep over.